Before You Start
- Get started at least one full week in advance of your move date.
- Estimate the number, sizes and material (tape, paper, etc.) of boxes you will need in advance. People tend to underestimate the number of boxes they need. We encourage you to talk to your Move Coordinator for guidance about preparing for your move.
- Obtain new, strong boxes and thick black pens for labeling. All packed boxes must have closed lids, allowing us to stack them properly in our moving truck. In the case you need supplies, Meathead Movers can deliver boxes and supplies at low prices.
- Packing is hard work. Avoid muscle pain and strain by:
- Stretching each day before you begin packing.
- Dressing in cool, comfortable clothing.
- Keeping plenty of water and snacks nearby.
- Lifting with your legs, not your back.
- Taking a cool shower after packing.
- Or just hire us to pack and unpack!
How to Pack
- Put heavy items in small boxes and lighter items in large boxes.
- Heavier items should be packed at the bottom of the box and lighter items at the top.
- Wrap breakable items with blank newsprint or bubble wrap.
- Secure the top and bottom of each box with plenty of tape.
- Label all boxes by room and contents as detailed as possible. Write FRAGILE in big letters where appropriate.
- As you pack each room, stack the boxes neatly in one corner.
- Irreplaceable (i.e. heirlooms) or highly valuable items (i.e. financial records) should be packed and transported by you in your own conveyance. This allows you to remain in control and have continuous custody of these items.
- Do not pack hazardous or flammable materials. Dispose of these or transport them separately.
- Purchase mattress bags for mattresses and box springs.
- For packing kitchenware, we recommend using a special box called a Dish Pack with an insert called a Cell Kit. The combination of a reinforced box with dividers makes for a very secure container to hold dishes of all shapes and sizes. Always wrap each item in blank newsprint before placing in the container.
- Do not pack any open containers of liquids.
- Use a special box called a Mirror Pack, which can be cut and taped to size.
- Wrap glass covered pictures with blank newsprint or bubble wrap.
- Never place paper on oil paintings.
- Pack lamp shades in a separate box and dispose of the light bulb before your move. We recommend replacing light bulbs with more energy efficient bulbs upon moving into your new home.
When You Finish
- Check all your boxes and make sure they are labeled by room and contents.
- Stack your boxes in a corner in each room, saving you money due to the reduced loading time.